The Monument located on Tverskaya Square was built for the 150th anniversary of the birth of the writer and satirist Mikhail Evgrafovich Saltykov-Shchedrin. Saltykov was a native of Kalyazin district of Tver province and the Tver vice-governor in 1860-1862. Tver reality of that time was repeatedly depicted in his works. The authors of this first Russian Monument to Saltykov-Shchedrin are the sculptor O. K. Komov and architect N. A. Kovalchuk. The Monument was unveiled in 1976. The Monument is the 3.2 meters height bronze sitting writer’s sculpture established onto a 2.8 meters height pedestal.